AIMS & OBJECTIVES
Act One is dedicated to providing quality education in the Performing Arts. In addition to preparing students for a performing career,
Act One is equally beneficial in developing confidence, articulation and communication skills, whilst encouraging creativity, team work and stretching the imagination. We want our students and their
parents to feel part of ‘something special’ so hope you enjoy your time with us and see the enjoyment theatre can provide!
Act One classes are offered to children and teenagers aged 3 ½ -17. Students work in age groups and the class to teacher ratios are in line with
STAFF & INSURANCE
It is the policy of Act One that all staff are checked through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) for their suitability to work
with children. All our staff are experienced in teaching and are performers in their own right. There is a qualified teacher present at every class. Teaching Assistants are also employed to assist
with class management. Public Liability Insurance has been taken out to cover each teacher, volunteer and pupil during classes and performances.
· Act One have a Safeguarding Policy in place, this is on our website.
· Rebecca Wood and Tracy Johnson are the designated First Aiders at all Act One classes and
· All electrical equipment (such as speakers) used is fully PAT tested and staff are trained in
their safe operation.
· Act One will not accept any threatening or abusive behaviour towards our staff or volunteers. Any
such behaviour will result in the immediate exclusion of the child and parent from our classes and events without refund of fees paid.
ATTENDANCE AND PUNCTUALITY
To achieve maximum results of training and proper progression, students are asked to attend all classes and rehearsals. To minimise
absences, parents are urged to take into consideration classes and rehearsals when scheduling their children for appointments and when planning outings.
• If a student misses 2 classes with no explanation – Act One reserves the right to offer their place to another
• Please be sure to call or text the Act One mobile 07866563300 and leave a message to excuse a student from class, as we may call you
to see why the child has not attended.
In order to achieve the skill level required in dance, drama and singing, students should understand the necessary level of focus and
concentration that will be required of them prior to attending class.
Whilst we encourage ideas from students and wish classes to be fun, we politely request the co-operation and respectful behaviour to
the teachers and other students.
· Mobile phones and tablets should
not be brought into the rehearsal space. Phones may be kept in bags if they are switched off.
· Please do not send children with chewing gum, chocolate or fizzy drinks – only
· Students who are disruptive will be asked to observe the class so that others may continue their
· Act One reserves the right to dismiss students who are consistently disruptive without a refund of
Children should be dressed appropriately for dance and drama class in the required uniform.
Drama & Musical Theatre: Black jogging pants or leggings (no logo or stripes), Act One t-shirt, black socks, black jazz shoes or
black pumps. Act One hoodies are optional.
Dance (tap & ballet): black ballet shoes, black tap shoes, pink dance tights, black skirted leotard.
No jewellery to be worn and long hair is to be tied up, away from the face.
Fees are to be paid per half term via the booking link given to you. All classes for the term are listed there.
Credit will not be given for missed classes as your child's place is retained for them. Fees must be paid for all classes scheduled per term.
We do not run regular classes in Easter holidays, Christmas holidays and Summer holidays. You will not be charged at this
We DO run through half-term holidays so fees will be due as usual to cover our running costs and secure your child’s
If classes need to be cancelled due to inclement winter weather or COVID-19 an alternative session will be offered or we will run the
class via a secure zoom class.
PRESENTATIONS & EXAMS
Act One believes in providing performing opportunities, acknowledging that experience is of ultimate importance in the quest for
· Each student is expected to attend all rehearsals and learn their lines and songs
by the required date.
· There is a show fee to pay – this covers extra rehearsal, costumes, staffing, theatre hire,
licences etc. This varies between £10-£30
also request full commitment once show rehearsals have begun. We ask pupils and parents to agree that they will not drop
out and let down the Directors and cast.
· Parents are invited to help out during the shows. This enables us to put on our shows – without
your help we could not do it! We have to use Licensed Chaperones so please inform Rebecca if you would like to be registered.
· Parents and other guests are not allowed backstage or into the dressing rooms once a class,
performance or dress rehearsal has begun.
· Some students are invited to undertake LAMDA and UKA exams, this requires home
PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEOS PERMISSIONS
Any photograph taken by Act One staff may be used on the website, facebook, twitter and in brochures for advertisement purposes. Your
child's anonymity will be preserved. Please notify us if you do not wish for this to occur. Please do not post photos & videos of other peoples’ children without their express permission
All our parents and carers are strongly encouraged to join the parents group on Facebook. You will find this on our facebook page. Here
we share all our vital class and show information. There are links to costumes and show tickets also.